Thursday, January 6, 2011

Slag

The term 'slag' can be used in various ways.  It can be used as a verb by saying, 'Oh, I'm just slagging!'  Or it can be used as a noun by saying, 'She's such a slag.'  It can even be used by saying, 'He was just taking a slag.'  I don't know what type of grammar that would be (my mom would be disappointed) but...whatever. 

You WANT to be slagged.  If an Irishmen is 'slagging' you, it means that he is teasing you or making fun of you.  They only do it when they like you and you want to slag them right back to show them that you aren't offended and that you understand it's all just a joke.  As I walked into a pub in Dublin, called 'The Auld Dubliner,' on our last night there(great craic if I do say so myself), an Irishmen walked up to me and started slagging me.  We had just learned the term earlier that day in orientation and I was so happy that I got slagged!  It kind of sounds inappropriate...but it's all in good fun, until you get called a 'slag'.

Being called a 'slag' in Ireland is the equivalent to being called a 'slut' back in the States.  No one wants to use the term but sometimes it is just necessary. 

While in Dublin, other than learning the local vocabulary, we took a bus tour through the city.  It was freezing and windy but we decided to sit on the OPEN top of a double-decker bus.  It made for great sight seeing, but also for numb fingers and cold ears.  Although it was bitter cold outside, it was a beautiful, sunny day in Dublin.


We also took a tour of the Guinness factory and the Jameson factory.  Both were interesting but the Jameson one was definitely better than the Guinness factory.  At the beginning of the tour, I, along with seven other people, volunteered to participant in an experiment at the end.  The experiment turned out to be a taste test between Scotch Whiskey Johnny Walker, American Whiskey Jack Daniels and Irish Whiskey Jameson.  Of course Jameson won out on the taste test but it was interesting to taste all three back to back and really realize how good Jameson really is. 


The first night in Dublin, we went to 'The Quays Bar' (pronounced 'keys').  I had a grand time there when I was in Ireland two years ago and it was just as grand this time around.  There was a live band playing awesome Irish music.  So many locals were out that night because they had holiday the next day because of the new year. 

Dublin was a grand time but I am happy to finally be in settled in Galway, the best city in the world.

1 comment:

  1. ahhh im so jealous!! i wanna be there now :( yayyy you can officially be called a galway girl! loves you smellin!

    ReplyDelete