Sunday, January 16, 2011

County Cork

Before I left for my home stay in Charleville, County Cork, Ireland, all that I had heard about it is that one, I probably will not be able to understand a word that anyone says to me and two, I will probably be living in the middle of no where on a farm.  The first one stayed true but the second did not.

We arrived in Charleville at around 9PM on Friday night after a three hour bus ride from Galway. My host mother was there to pick me up and Melissa and I got in the car to go back to her house.  Pauline's (my host mother) four year old son, Adam, was in the car.  The moment we got in the car, I said hello to him and he said, "Stop staring at me, fat face!  I will bite your ear off!"  He continued to say things such as this to Melissa, Pauline, Pauline's brother-in-law(who picked us up), and myself.  I eventually got on his good side by 'slagging' him right back and we ended up watching The Ant Bully when we got back to the house.  Pauline's house is a row home in a complex with other houses and it is about a ten minute walking from the main street of town.  And when I say 'the main street,' there was literally one main street.

On Saturday, Pauline did not have anything planned for us to do, so Melissa and I made our way into town to walk the rainy street of Charleville.  After we had walked up and down the street, we went into a pub called The Four Winds and had a cup of tea and chatted with the locals and the bartenders about the places that we needed to go while we were in Charleville.  We then met up with a few other girls in our program and went to Dinny's Bar for lunch.  After we ate, we headed over go Geary's (better known as Gough's to the locals) to have a pint.  Later that night, we headed back into town and went to The Second Winds, which is connected to The Four Winds, and had a few pints there before heading back over to Gough's.  It was crazy packed at Gough's and we were lucky if we found a place to stand.  Eventually, we got seats at the bar and started to chat up the extremely cute bartenders.  Cathal was bartending earlier in the day when we were there with a fellow named Claude who had worked in Washington, D.C for three years and gave us the name of a pub and a bartender there to look up when we got back to the States.  Claude was not there on Saturday night but Cathal was along with Brian and Chris.  Of course, the four of us were swooning over their Irish accents and how cute they all were (Chris was definitely the cutest with his healing black eye from a rugby match).  The pub played very eclectic music, everything from Black Eyed Peas to Billy Medley/Jennifer Warnes to Frank Sinatra.  It was grand!  The four of us taught the locals the proper dance moves to 'Cotton Eyed Joe' and 'Cha Cha Slide' and I'm pretty positive that we were the only 'yanks' to stop by Gough's in a long time.

Today, we all met at a beautiful church to be picked up by the bus.  It was a beautiful day with the sun shining and only a few rain sprinkles.  I'm not sure of the name of the church but it is beautiful inside and out.

On a different note...I'm going to an Irish Step Dancing class tomorrow evening with my friend Jon.  It should be interesting and quite fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment