Thursday, January 13, 2011

Róisín Dubh

Eileen and me

at the Roisin Dubh
I wasn't much of a techno fan before I got to Ireland.  Sure, it was fun to bob my head back and forth for about thirty seconds when someone played it at a party, but then it just got boring.  I never knew how to dance to techno and I thought all techno sounded exactly the same, so I didn't really like it.   A lot of the pubs/clubs that we have been going to play nothing but techno--and it's grand.  It is so much fun to dance to and it really doesn't matter if you're good at dancing or not because everyone is just there to have fun.  Also, usually you aren't really dancing with a specific person, mostly in a group of people who are all dancing just as crazily as you are.  Róisín Dubh  is the pub that you can usually find me at on a Friday or Saturday or Sunday or Monday or Tuesday (you get it) night.  In the front of the pub and on the second and third floor, it is just a normal Irish pub with multiple bars and multiple stools/tables for people to sit at.  When you go to the back of the first floor, things get crazy.  The first night that we went there, after a grand suggestion from our super cute campus tour guide, a guy was playing the fiddle in the back of the first floor.  When I say he played the fiddle, he didn't just play the fiddle.  He had it set up to a synthesizer and he had a keyboard and a whole bunch of other electronic things.  He played the fiddle like a fiddle, he played it like a guitar, he plucked the strings, he basically did anything that you could imagine.  His name is Daithi O Dronai and he is amazing.  YouTube him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment